Monday, March 15, 2010

Yarn Harlot Day at the Detroit Public Library!


As promised- an update on the wonderful day the Yarn Harlot came to visit!

This is a quick recap of a *very* exciting day:



Jill (Knitterella) drove out to my house Saturday morning. Because we had never met (and really only started talking via Ravelry on Wednesday), we were a little worried that the other might be a little crazy. Turns out we are both crazy (ok... not really) and really enjoyed each other's company!



Navigating the library was a little trickier than we thought it would be. Our instrustions were as follows:

Take the elevator down to floor A. Turn right, turn right again and proceed through double doors... turn left, go down a long hall, turn right take the elevator back to the first floor. Turn left(?!?!?)We eventually made it (we had to ask for help quite a few times along the way) and set up shop in a crowd of knitters. Thanks to Alice (who came all the way from Iowa), I was very flattered in being asked to sign a copy of my French Press Felted Slipper pattern. There were a few more of these throughout the day...to all of you, thanks for making me feel so special!



And then there was Beth (it is Beth.... right? Beth, are you out there?) who wanted to get a picture of me. I'm not so big on posing alone- so I wanted her in the picture as well. It was so nice meeting you- I'm glad we got a little chance to talk!


*As a side note- a special thanks to my Mom who came along and helped Jill and I navigate the library halls, carry our mechandise, and take pictures- Love you, Mom!




The market place was an absolute whirlwind. We met so many wonderful knitters and saw such spectacular handknits. We closed up shop, headed to the auditorium, and eagerly waited for the Yarn Harlot to come out.

And finally, the moment we were all waiting for! Stephanie came out and delivered an amazing speech... all about knitting! There were many times that Jill and I would look at each other and nod in complete agreeance to the words Stephanie spoke.





Although Stephanie did come and introduce herself during the market- there were many people around and I did not get a chance to get a picture. I was pretty bummed that I wouldn't have a picture of us to put on my blog- but my Mom came to the rescue once again. After we loaded up the car, my Mom volunteered to circle around so we could snap a quick shot.



I love this picture- despite the fact that I look a little too excited to be there. But I was, so I suppose it captures the true essence!


***If you were at this event and have posted any pictures or perhaps a blog post, throw the link up in the comments. I'll add all the links to the bottom of this post so everyone who was at the Detroit Public Library on Saturday can see everyone else's pictures. ***

Other Links:



http://yetanotherslippedstitch.blogspot.com/2010/03/detroit-in-which-library-lady-goes-on.html





19 comments:

  1. Oh! How lucky! What a fun opportunity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting day! I wish I could have been there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the last pic! And yes, you do look way too excited. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure that you were thrilled at such a wonderful experience and to meet Stephanie! Keep up the great work! Blessings...Judi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had SO much fun with you! I'm so glad you turned out to be just as crazy as me too ;) Actually, I can't wait until we can meet up again!

    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like such a fun day! Plus, your booth looks lovely. I'm glad you had such an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That sounds like such an amazing day! I'm jealous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. eeeeee! You lucky bunny, you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could have went :) Looks like you had a great time though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome Melynda! Your set-up looked great, and it was obvious that you were having a blast interacting with your fans. :) A very motivating and inspiring day for you and the knitting community indeed. Can't wait to hear all about it--curious as to what Stephanie spoke about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was having a very relaxing day. You were having an exciting one. Both are good in their own time, but I do wish I'd been in Detroit for this fun event. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They should have reserved you seats down front like they did for the knitting guild!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I so wish I could have been there! I also saw this on Ravelry but had previous commitments! It's nice to have read someone else's blog who is in the same state because I like to see events coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a little summary and pictures!

    http://yetanotherslippedstitch.blogspot.com/2010/03/detroit-in-which-library-lady-goes-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. i also look a bit too excited in my picture with ms. pearl mcphee. i think most people do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Juliet in Grand RapidsMarch 16, 2010 at 9:27 PM

    Here's my wonderful daughter's pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/icait/sets/72157623500615873/
    Kind of heavy on the Stephanie pix, but how in the world could a sane person restrain herself! Each picture is a teensy bit different, right?

    (Your slippers are in my cue.)

    mothertinkture on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just did up my blog post too...thanks for the link exchange & enjoyed your post too! http://zenyarngarden.typepad.com/roxanne/2010/03/in-the-d-w-the-yarn-harlot.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alice in the HeartlandMarch 17, 2010 at 9:42 PM

    I loved getting your first autograph. And you could have fooled me that you just met Knitterella that morning. You looked like life-long friends. It was a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to ordering the cowl pattern too.
    P.S. Photos are up on my Flickr account.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm enjoying checking out the links you've been posting. Now I really wish I had found a way to go with you... Stephanie sounds pretty amazing. I want to get one of her books--I read a few chapters of one of her books online--she's hilarious. Super cool that she mentioned you on her blog!

    ReplyDelete