Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Child's Placket Neck Sweater

One of the first knitting books I owned was Joelle Hoverson's  Last-Minute Knitted Gifts.  As far as knitting books go, it has become a bit of a modern legend.  In the pages are patterns I've come back to on multiple occasions.

 The Child's Placket Neck Sweater was a new one for me, and as always, it did not disappoint.  If you have the first printing of the book like I do, you need to be careful of the errata.  The pattern has quite a few mistakes, so you can now find the pattern for free online here.

Although my sweater is still lacking buttons (I think some little orange ones will get the job done), I figured I would share it before the paper towel holder had to return to its normal job:


I used Knit Pick's Swish DK Yarn in Delft Heather and may be convinced that it is one of the greatest yarns for children's knitting.  Besides coming in a great variety of colors and being soft to boot, it's also superwash, which makes it great for giving as gifts.  

19 comments:

  1. once again, adorable! p.s. I think you should get another paper towel holder. this one rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last-Minute Knitted Gifts started my love affair with knitting- it was my first knitting book as well! Love it! Your sweater is adorable! And I agree- buy a second paper towel holder- this one has found its place in life!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, very cute! how is that yarn for 'grown-up' sweaters?? I'm looking for yarn for my next project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Would love to make one in cotton for my wool hating grandson ;-). And thanks for the link to errata.
    Blessings,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! It looks fabulous - I love that colour!
    I actually put together a step-by-step tutorial for this sweater, which I linked to on my own blog (see the sidebar):

    http://www.atmymothersknee.blogspot.com

    (Hope you don't mind that I'm linking over to myself in your comments - pretty narcissistic, eh?)

    I created it when I was contacted by a beginner knitter who was looking for help on how to make a sweater (she'd only ever knitted garter stitch scarves, previous to this). If any newbies are looking to give it a try, please come on over and check it out! It really is a great pattern and has become a "gateway" sweater for a lot of people. Once you've made one, it's just a small step to adult sweaters and more complicated garments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! The perfect little sweater, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling little sweater! And, I agree with the previous comments that your paper towel holder has found its calling in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Baby clothes are wonderful to knit ad I'll remember that yarn..I need some good superwash dk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful - I love the color. I'll have to look for that yarn next time I need to knit a baby gift; I hate to knit in acrylic (especially for a gift), but I also don't want to give a baby gift that can't be tossed in the washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cute! and I'm dying to know what the colorful little tower is in the 3rd picture. And whooo are you knitting all these cute baby things for?!?! Should we expect a French Press Baby it the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree that this yarn is perfect for baby things. I knit my little one a cardi with Swish, and although she's only two months old, I've already had to wash the sweater several times! But the yarn is holding up beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. SUPER CUTE!!! P.S. Love LOVE the felt shoes!!!!!

    ReplyDelete