Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rhinebeck 2010

This past weekend was the perfect weekend for my first ever Rhinebeck experience.  Not only were the trees in their peak, but the weather was also very cooperative- cool and crisp, just as an autumn day should be. Wonderfully ideal for layers of handknits :)



After a dark and rainy drive, we arrived in Rhinebeck late Friday night (technically Saturday morning), so we took our time in the AM and showed up at the New York Sheep and Wool festival at about 11.  Some of the first friendly faces I spotted were these familiar ones:




I ran into the ladies of Ravelry (Jess, Sarah, and Mary-Heather) and Melissa of Neoknits upon arrival and had a chance to catch up a bit.


The first Ravelry meet-up was at lunch time and I had a fun time seeking out people that I know 'online' (and now in real life!).


As far as the food went, I think my favorite thing was the fried pickles.  They were recommended to us by Casey and they did not disappoint!
* I know, I know... pregnant woman...pickles..I get it.  I haven't had many cravings, but I have to tell you the truth- looking at this picture is giving me a major hankering for another helping of the fried little morsels!  

Saturday afternoon Joe and I both took a class with designer Lily Chin.  This filled the day and left little time for shopping.

At the Ravelry Party, I finally got to meet Steven A in person:

*Ok...I actually met him at the Ravelry meetup, but we didn't snag a pic until the evening.


Sunday we had a little time for shopping, we even managed to visit some four legged friends (and some monkeys, too!):








Although it's hard to tell from the picture, the sheep here is kind of tiny (see poster).  Since we have been home, Joe has mentioned a few times how it would be cool to get a couple of these tiny sheep and let them roam around the yard.  He thinks its a great idea- I think they'd end up as coyote food.

Sunday evening we headed down to New Jersey to stay with some friends.  Monday was to be spent in the city and I had one tourist trap I had to see : Purl Soho!


Unfortunately for me, Purl does not open until noon- and we showed up too early.  At least I got to see the outside!


I did find a yarn shop near Central Park that I was able to stop in at. String Yarn  had the new Filatura di Crosa book I have been looking for-  I was more than happy to snag a copy.


 I know some of you have already asked what was worn on this knitterly weekend.  Some of the knits you have seen before, some were fresh FOs (loaded into the car wet from blocking!).  I will be sure to get some more pictures and give details soon!

13 comments:

  1. You look wonderful!! Sorry I missed seeing/meeting you Saturday when we were there, but we left early because the baby was too cold. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a fun time! I can't wait to start traveling to festivales next year! :)Can't wait to see more pics and patterns (hint) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another jealousy inducing account of Rhinebeck! :-D I have to say, I've seen those mini sheep (and goats) and thought exactly as Joe did! I'm not sure city ordinances allow such animals as domestic pets. (HA!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you mean to say yard....because you said the sheep would roam the yarn... just checking. Also, Joe I am suprised you got that close to the chimp. Brave, aren't we? Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, now I'm craving fried pickles, and I'm not even pregnant! Mmm...so delicious. It sounds like a perfect weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was my first time at Rhinebeck, also - what a fun day! Did you see the mother kangaroo and her joey? (Near the monkeys...) The joey didn't put his head out 'til late afternoon, but he was SO cute! (Here's a pic:
    http://hookedonknitting.blogspot.com/2010/10/rhinebeck-part-3.html )

    Next time I want to try to attend the Ravelry party (my sister and I left around 5PM this year.) Looks like it was a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like you had a great time : ) I would love to have some sheep in our yard!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to having fried pickles at the State Fair today. That's some yummy fair/fiberfest food there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bit about Purl Soho made me laugh. I went to NYC for the first time last weekend and Purl was at the TOP of my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete