Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Magnetic Paper Dolls Tutorial


I figured I would kick off the ICD tutorial series with a project I've been wanting to make for quite some time.  I first saw this tutorial a year ago over at One Pearl Button and have been dying to make these for my nieces ever since.


Here's what you'll need:

  • Betsey McCall paper dolls printed from here.  When I clicked on the file, I had to zoom in in order for the page to be full size on the printed paper.  
  • Small metal box to store the dolls.  I picked up a couple gift card holders from Michael's (found right by the cash registers), but there were also some plain silver boxes similar in size in the back.  They were a bit deeper than these ones, so if you're really into cutting things out, you may want to go with that option :)
  • Adhesive magnetic paper.  I found the 1'x2' roll at Michaels.  The smaller sheets came from JoAnn's. 
  • Scissors




Step 1:  Cut out your dolls and outfits.  Since your set will be magnetic, you will not need the tabs.

Step 2:  Peel backing off adhesive magnetic sheet and arrange dolls and dresses.

Step 3:  Cut out your shapes.

Step 4:  Repeat.



Easy, peasy- no?

When you have the dolls and dresses you want, you can store them in your magnetic metal case.  Alli from One Pearl Button made this little label to put onto her little tin:


Find more info on how to download on her blog

16 comments:

  1. What a great project. My LO is too young for these dolls but i'd make up a set for when she's bigger. Great toy for the car/church/restaurants too. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, Melynda! I'm glad you liked the tutorial. My nieces love theirs; I'm sure yours will, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is totally cool!! Can't wait for my niece to get older :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just so cute and easy. I cannot wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a neat idea! I love that they have a doll from the year I was born...I have said too much.
    Charlene (Keppygirl)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I remember I had those when I was a kid...actually I still have them and my daughter used to play with them! What a great memory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I LOVE this idea. Thank you so much for sharing it. If only I could think of a little girl who would appreciate this. At 20, I think my daughter is not a good candidate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a fun gift idea... I think I may need to make some for our girls for Christmas! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! I want to make them for Ava and Monica for Christmas. And maybe I'll make a set for myself as well... haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are gorgeous, what a fab idea. I remember the tab clothes always falling off when I used to play with these! I wanted to reply to your question of essential things to get before the baby. One thing we've found so helpful is a bath support. We found it so hard washing Noah in the sink or in a washing up bowl, so we got a baby bath and a support so you don't have to fully support him with one arm, though you still have to keep a hand on him but its much easier. Also lots of breast pads for leakages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG. I love this! I don't have a little girl to make these for but will make them for myself:). How large did you make them; inches tall?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful idea. Seems that everyone has a niece this would be perfect for. Mine is only 18 months, but I think I'll try making it for later, it looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!! I now know what I'm getting my nieces for Christmas!! I actually have a bound copy of McCalls from 1955. I didn't even know that I had some originals! Now I just need to find something for the nephews.
    Congratulations on your beautiful daughter! How happy and exhausted you must be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing this!! My little girl will be 3 soon, so I am going to make this for her birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic! I have cut out these paperdolls for my 4 and 7 year old daughters, but the tabs have been a problem. Problem solved thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having trouble getting to print outs for dolls and clothes. Could you please explain how? Thank you

    ReplyDelete