Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Finding Inspiration

For the past few years, when images of Squam would flicker across my computer screen, the thing that would entice me the most was the beautiful embroidery.  It made me long for Squam, for the opportunity to sit and stitch a piece of fabric by hand.  Although I didn't get a chance to take any classes this year, I did get the opportunity for some retail therapy at the Art Fair.
img source: rebecca ringquist

I didn't have much time to leave my booth, but I happened to have a table right next to Rebecca Ringquist- the drop-cloth sampler queen herself.  I purchased a few samplers along with a starter kit- enough to get me started on the long drive home.

Many of my Squam meals were spent with new friend Lisa Gerber.  It was probably our little ones that brought us together, and I am so glad they did.  Lisa was the first person I was looking up and emailing when we arrived home and I am excited about the new friendship that was formed.

Being super unprepared for the Art Fair (notice I don't even have any pictures of the night- it was insane) led me to comment on how prepared Lisa was for the show.  Her table was cute to boot, with all sorts of embroidery supplies and kits.  She was sporting the most simply perfect apron for handling cash and I coveted it the moment I saw it (for both practical and aesthetic purposes, of course).

img source: lisa gerber

Seriously, how cute are those pin-tucks?!  No quicker did I comment than she told me she had them for sale and I made my first purchase.  But before the night was over, I purchased one of her embroidery kits.  It seems to have everything I need to get started, including a stitch guide.  

img source: lisa gerber

So, I was well-prepped with embroidery supplies for our car ride home. Unfortunately,  after the day we had, no stitches were put on to fabric.

Now it's almost time for TNNA, and my dream of embroidery has been pushed aside for more knitting.  After all, after two months of not much knitting, this guy still has a ways to go:  


And my embroidery finds just sit waiting:

I have started an inspiration board on Pinterest, and I even have a couple books on order.  Once I get through TNNA this week, and a couple baby knits for a shower next week, I should have some down time to start stitchin'.   Are many of you out there embroiderers?  I would love some advice on the best place to order supplies (whether online or in stores) and where you find inspiration.



ps... Both Rebecca Ringquist and Lisa Gerber both have Etsy shops where you can purchase their kits- have fun!





Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Jenny Hart is amazing, her books have inspired Laurel and I both to do quite a bit of embroidery! I love to add one of her motifs to a onesie, a tea towel...

    http://www.sublimestitching.com/

    and

    http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/2007/03/embroidered-onesies.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hand embroidery and have a ton of books. One of my favorite embroidery artist is Constance Howard. She has a funky flair based in traditional techniques.
    I have her Inspirations for Embroidery published in 1966
    as well as The Constance Howard Book of Stitches on my shelf...

    http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Constance_Howard_Book_of_Stitches.html?id=LvoRDfiNniAC

    I also love crazy quilting and have found inspiration in many an antique crazy quilt. (My mom has a fantastic collection of crazy quilts that I blogged about years ago
    http://www.in-the-fold.blogspot.com/search/label/Antique%20Crazy%20Quilts

    One of my favorite contemporary crazy quilters is Judith Baker Montano. She has published some really great basic stitch guides for embroidery and silk ribbon work as well as her latest book Fibreart Montage, Combining Quilting, Embroidery and Photography with Embellishments. The landscapes she creates are amazing.

    http://www.judithbakermontano.com/

    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been known to embroider (though only for gifts. I find it too time consuming for anything else!) and my favorite site is Sublime Stitching. They have some really cool iron-on forms for embroidery, and a lot of the stuff is really unique, like sushi and Paris and robots.

    http://www.sublimestitching.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Charlotte Lyons, Rebecca Sower, and Amy Powers. I am taking an online class with Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stitch In Time in Howell, Mi has a nice selection of embroidery, cross-stitch and needlepoint supplies and of course, tons of yarn! 722 E. Grand River

    (517)546-0769

    This Saturday the shoppe is hosting a knit-out on the front lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comment above me is what I was going to say:) I love embroidery and have only been at it about a year! I have incorporated it on my quilts, stuff for my boys ( ages 2 & 4) and felt christmas ornaments and kitchen towels!! Colonial patterns is a great site to checkout also. I have longed to learn to knit...if you ever want to .. I could show you embroidery stitches! I live in Brighton...would love to meet up!

    Dyannaholster@yaoo.com

    ReplyDelete