Wednesday, November 25, 2009

With a Heart Full of Thanks



There is no doubt that I have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. God has blessed me with a wonderful and supportive husband, a loving family, and great friends.

This year took an interesting turn for me. At the beginning of 2009, it had been a while since I had even picked up my knitting needles. In February, I started getting the itch to knit again. Perhaps it was the fact that we kept our house at somewhere between 55-60 degrees due to high propane costs. I decided I wanted to make myself a cowl to wear around the house and started looking for patterns. When I didn't find a pattern I liked, I decided to just play around and figure something out.

By March I began getting ideas for an Etsy shop with knitted goods. I spent time on the forums and got myself all set up. By March 31st, I was up and running (I didn't want to launch on April Fool's Day, after all!).

I never thought about making my patterns available, but that seemed to be what I was getting contacted about the most. I joined Ravelry soon after Etsy, but was scared off. I'm not sure why it intimidated me, but it did. I still regret that decision- Ravelry is AMAZING!

A few months ago I decided to take the plunge and try to put some project pictures up on Ravelry. Soon after posting my French Press Felted Slippers people began to contact me about a pattern. This was when I decided it was time.

On October 12th, I launched the pattern. I was ecstatic to get home from work last week to see this:
I couldn't believe my slippers were the #1 "New and Popular" pattern on Ravelry. I have all of you to thank, and I will say "thanks" with a free pattern!

This is a pattern I promised before, I just worked extra hard to get it our earlier than expected! It is a simple newborn hat that is meant for the hospital. It is made a bit smaller than other newborn hats I have found(which say newborn, but end up being too large). The idea is to give baby a new hat on their first outing- from hospital to home. So I introduce you to "Bring Me Home Hat".

~A simple knitted hat in a true newborn size. Made with the softest organic cotton, perfect for the little one’s delicate skin. This hat is worked in the round on double pointed needles. It starts with a seed stitch brim that is followed with a row of eyelets. It is perfect for expectant parents who do not know if they are having a boy or a girl. They can bring both the pink and blue ribbon with them and have the perfect hat to bring baby home in.~

You can download this free pattern on Ravelry here. Not on Ravelry(you should be...it's free, and as I said before: AMAZING!)? You can download it here.

Besides this wonderful surprise on Ravelry, I also hit 500 sales in my Etsy shop last week. Maybe I'll even hit 50 blog followers today? So, as a second token of my appreciation, I have been working hard to get another pattern available for purchase on both Etsy and Ravelry. My goal is to have it up by next week.

Again, thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! This has been so exciting for me and I have loved all the encouraging notes and support.



12 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say congratulations!!!! I have your pattern and it is just awesome. Everyone in my family is getting a pair of the slippers for Christmas, the first pair were such a hit.Blessings to you and yours for the Holiday!!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great success story--with such quick and happy results. I'm glad to say I recently bought your pattern. And, I can't wait to start in on it...but, must finish some other projects first. Best wishes for further successes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! You are so deserving. Happy Thanksgiving love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, congratulations on your success! And thank you for the free pattern. I was just thinking I needed a hat for my little guy. He's due ina month and does not own a handknit hat from his Mom yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations - you definitely deserve the success! Your knits really are wonderful (including this little hat - thank you for the pattern!).

    Have a happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you!! Your slipper pattern is wonderful! Can't wait to download the baby hat-- thanks for providing the freebie!! Keep up the fabulous work and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It is neat to hear the history of your crafting life for 2009. Thanksgiving is an awesome excuse to reflect on God's hand in your life, isn't it? I'm half way done with the slipper pattern, I can wait to felt them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on being #1! I love your slipper pattern. I made one pair and will make more for Christmas gifts. I can't wait for your pattern for baby shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on your success! it is well deserved - your felted slippers pattern is fabulous! thanks for sharing it with the world. i've made three pair in the past week and planning more. think of all the warm feet all over the country because of your pattern! you have a great sense of style and i'm looking forward to seeing more of your patterns in the future. happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such an inspiration, Melynda. I'm so happy for all of your success, Ravelry, Etsy, and everything! I wish that I could use your pattern, I love your slippers so much. But, I'll just have to ask for some for X-mas!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to all for the kind regards! It has been an exciting year for all the 'craftiness' in my life. Excited to see what God has in store for me in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay! and you're welcome! :)
    i got the slipper pattern last month and i finally got around to knitting my first pair today. so far, so good.
    thank you for a lovely pattern!

    ReplyDelete