Friday, November 5, 2010

Socktober is Over...

But before it ended, I did get a chance to cast a pair of socks on to the needles.





 I'm not exactly sure what Socktober is- I think it is some sort of knitting event (because I have seen reference to it pop up in my Google Reader quite a bit in the past few weeks), but I just like the name.  That's right- I liked hearing 'Socktober' so much that it compelled me to start a pair of socks.  Furthermore, these socks will be for the purpose of keeping my toes toasty once they are finished.  This will be my first pair of handknit socks- time to see what all of the fuss is about.

The pattern is Spring Socks by Eveli Kaur (find her blog here).  The yarn- that's right, Noro Kureyon.   Being my first experience working with Noro, I have mixed feelings.  Despite the fact that I  am knitting with it, I still feel a little hesitant about using it.  I'm not ready for a sweater or shawl, but for this pair of socks- I find it perfect.  I do finally understand the Noro color fuss. It's kind of like reading a good book, there have been a few nights I've had a hard time going to bed because I wanted to see how the color would change.  Really.  Ok, I just realized I have a problem.

Unfortunately, it may be a while until we see these again. While I was working the yarn for my Sheep Yoke cardigan (for Baby FPK to come home in) finally arrived.  Here's a picture of the ever-so-gender-neutral colors in case you have forgotten:





** For those of you wondering about the large circular needle, I started using magic loop in the past couple months and am actually thoroughly enjoying the technique.  Just goes to show everything is worth a try.

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE Noro yarns. I am starting to think I have a problem. :D I definitely want some socks out of it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I learned how to magic loop, I just couldn't use DPNs anymore. But I love these socks! I only ever used Noro Kuryon worsted (I think?) for a torsoless sweater, but it was awesome. It looks even more perfect for socks, and what cheery colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was no turning back after I started using magic loop... It's AAAAAHHHHHMAZING! Good luck with the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished my first Noro sock too (I need to cast on for the second). I love the vibrancy of the colors but I would not use this for a sweater. No way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Socktober is pretty much just celebrating socks in October. Lolly (http://lollygirl.com/blog/) started it a while ago. I actually knit most of a pair of socks this October, in honor of Socktoberfest. Just working on the foot of the second one.

    I have a friend who is a Noro fanatic. I peeked in her closet and she has dozens of Noro sweaters. I love the colors of the yarn you're using!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks look great. Lovely stripes. I may have to find out what all this fuss about the magic loop is about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I really love your socks! I have never myself worked with Noro but like you have heard sooo much about it! Your socks are looking great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sock! I just finished my first Noro project, and the thrill for me was finding the next ball that would fall perfectly into the color sequencing. 4 balls, and they all worked. (I had a bag of 10) Of course, there was a cut and knot color change on the last one...that's what I get for being too cocky about it! No pictures yet, but soon...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Spring Socks are looking great! Funny I brought up the pattern to you and you are waaaay farther then I am :)

    It was so nice hanging out with you last night.

    C H E E S Y

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magic Loop is the only way to go and I also love to do two at a time, that way no lone sock syndrome.

    I was too busy cutting out quit fabric and then joined knitting late, but should have said HI! the other night at the meet up. From what I saw your sweater looked great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering what yarn that is? I love the color cards.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knitted the Noro Striped Scarf with Silk Garden and had the same problem as you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Noro, in fact I am awaiting some Kureyon I ordered from Little Knits (in Seattle). They currently have some Noro yarns on sale, for anyone interested: http://www.littleknits.com/categories.php?cat=14

    ReplyDelete