Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tying Up Some Loose Ends

Or more like weaving them in.

I was excited to jump on the bandwagon and knit up a Puerperium Cardigan of my own, and even more thrilled when I had the idea of using up some leftover yarn to create a little striped garment (leftover yarn from Placket Neck Sweater and Tugboat Coat).

Now I can't say this was my first time doing stripes, but I do think this may have been the first striped garment I've knit that is not worked in the round.  It's shocking how much time is added to a project when you are switching colors every other row.  It will definitely have me thinking twice before the next time I just want to do some stash busting.


And now, although the needles have been put away, I'm left with may ends to weave in.  I tried out a couple different joins on this project.  Some ends I just left out, waiting for me to weave them in.  But I also utilized the Russian join and the back join.   I have to say, I don't think I have developed a favorite.  How do you tackle stripes/ new color joins/ weaving in ends?


ps- for more info on different joins, check out the TECHknitter's post here.

10 comments:

  1. Two row stripes? I just carry the colors up the side. Voila, no ends.

    And you might look into the braided join. It's fantastically strong and it blends right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow, you cut the ends for 2 row stripes? I'd a carried 'em and covered it up in the seaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another vote for carrying the yarn up the inside. It is one row. No one will notice but you! I find anything more than two rows (depending on the weight of the fabric, of course) is too much. If it bothers you that much you could always do I-cord over the edges or sew on some facing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, weaving in the ends might not be very fun, but the sweater looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate sewing in ends too! If the stripes are just every two rows I agree with other commentators and go for running the yarn up the side rather than break off at the end of each stripe I-cord would look good too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup. Nothing left to say: I carry it two rows and never cut it! I suggest a stiff drink before you weave in all those ends. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, definitely carry the yarn up the sides, especially when its only a couple of rows. I also have done the thing where you weave in your ends as you're knitting the next row (can't remember what its called!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any suggestions or techniques to share but I did want to say that I love how your stripes are turning out. Your sweater is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well everyone beat me to it! Carrying up the side and using the jogless stripes technique from techknitter is the only way to go! To late now but for next time. I actually have even had success with a 4 row repeat and making sure to grab the yarn to keep it flat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was also going to say carry the yarn on the side! But now that you're at it, this garnment is going to have so much more love in it!

    ReplyDelete